Sunday, February 22, 2009

Ok, I was horribly wrong about round one being over.

I spoke too soon, I jinxed myself. Thursday I was praying all day for Noah to go potty. The last wet diaper I remember was on Wed. Friday morning we woke up and I took him to the Urgent Care clinic. I told them what was going on and they said to go straight to the ER. They were going to have to give him an IV and catheterize him. (is that even a word?)
My heart sunk. I felt sick. I would of done anything to stop him from going through that. With this feeling of dread, I drove him across town to the ER. They checked them both in. Gave them both little gowns to wear. I had knots in my stomach. The Dr finally came in and told me what I knew was coming. An IV. But we would wait on the catheter. Thankfully my mom was with me and held Bug so that I could give him my full attention while they gave him the IV. They were good at it though, they wrapped him up in his blanket so that he could not get his other arm free. And we stuck the TV right in his face to try and distract him. He took it like a champ and only cried while they took blood and got it situatued in his arm. He was so dehydrated that he took a bag and a half of fluid before he peed. He laid there for over 4 hours. Everytime I asked him if he had to pee, he told me he wasn't ready yet. The Dr came in and said that we were going to have to catheretize. We got up and took a couple laps around the ER and even tried sticking his hand in warm water. He finally peed. After I made the "psssssss" sound I normally make when he pottys on the toilet. I was so happy I almost cried.
He is doing a lot better. He hasn't gotten sick since yesterday. He actually ate breakfast today. And asked if he could go potty on the toilet. YAY!
She is on the road to recovery too. Only a few incidents today.
And inspite of all of this, she has learned to crawl finally over the last couple days. She had the hands down. She could crawl with her hands, but she would crawl out until she was laying flat. Couldn't figure out how to move her legs. She would get up on her hands and feet and try crawling that way. Which is really funny. But she has finally figured out how important those knees are. Now I am not saying she is fast by any means. Each-and-every-movement-is-very-methodical-and-thought-out. With a very serious look on her face the entire time. Very much the opposite of her carefree big brother.

And last night for the first time in six days, I was not awoken by the sounds of wretching or a diaper being filled. Hallelujah!


daphne said...

sounds so familiar w/ the crawling or trying to on our end..G just gets up there and then goes flat and army crawls where she wants to go...she is like ahhh, I can get there faster this way...glad you guys are feeling better. being in the er w/ your kids sucks..i should know as I have unfortunately become the resident expert but yay on the pee pee--it's horrible for a little boy to go through.

MamaGeph said...

I am so glad they are getting better. How frightening!

I'll bet sleeping feels awfully good.