Monday, January 14, 2008

It's official!

We have moved into the big boy bed! Last Wed night was the first time we tried since the "up wandering the house in the middle of the night incident", and it was an ugly night. He screamed for an hour banging on his door. I had to go in and calm him down he couldn't even breath he was so worked up. So I turned on some music and crawled in bed with him and we just layed there. Soon I worked my way to sitting next to the bed and then I was sitting in the rocker and then out the door. He cried for a little bit but finally fell asleep. He then woke up at 1:30 screaming and trying the door knob. But thanks to my friend Heather and her wonderful gift of a door knob thinga majiggy, he couldn't open it. He finally fell back asleep and woke up again at 5. The next night was a little less painful and each night since then has been easier and easier. Last night, he went and turned on his music, crawled into bed, we said our prayers and our nightly "I love you's," and that was it. No crying to knocking on the door pittifully crying out, "mommy! mommy!" And tonight was the same. Now we have had some incidents during this transition. One night I was sitting on the couch and heard a thud. I looked at Tela to see if she had rolled off her bed, and then went back to check on Bear. He had rolled off his bed onto the floor and was sound asleep. He did it again that night at about 12. The thud was so loud that it woke me up in the other room. I went in to check on him and he was standing at his crib, laying down on the mattress sound asleep. And then there was the morning I went in and he had taken all of his diapers out of the package and stacked them up on the dresser. This morning I went in and sometime during the night he had brought almost 20 books to bed with him. He was sprawled out with 4 books tucked in each arm and the rest around him. In the mornings he has to hand me everything he slept with and tell me what it is. Doe, might, duck, goose, book, elmo, and bear are the regulars.
Now naps are a whole different story. Those are ugly still. Most of the time he ends up sleeping on the floor. He stands at his door jiggling the knob calling out for me like he has been trapped in there for days. Today he got into the Desitin jar and spread that all over his dresser. But he put the lid back on after he was done the little sweetie. Hopefully the nap thing will come soon. Hopefully.

No comments: